In Hollywood movies, the entire recovery process seems to take place during detox. Anyone who has recovered from an addiction knows that this is completely untrue. In reality, clients spend hours in individual counseling, group support meetings, and other therapy programs as they go through the recovery process.
Counseling is useful because it helps people avoid relapses and triggers. When you feel intense cravings, the right mental health services can get you back on track. Through the support of Garden State Detox Center, you can get the holistic treatment you need to recover.
What Is Individual Counseling?
Individual counseling involves face-to-face interactions between a client and a counselor. Unlike group support meetings, the individual counselor only works with one person at a time. Initially, counseling is used to address the symptoms of your addiction. Later, it can help improve parts of your life that have been affected by substance abuse.
Unfortunately, it is not enough to treat the physical symptoms of addiction without treating the mental effects as well. At a mental health clinic, you can work with an individual counselor to uncover previous experiences and instances of trauma that are fueling your addiction. You can set short-term goals related to your substance abuse and learn how to live a healthier lifestyle.
Mental Health Treatment During Individual Counseling
Through the best mental health services, you can get dual diagnosis treatment. Often, people develop a substance abuse disorder as a way to self-medicate for symptoms of depression, anxiety, and other mental illnesses. In other instances, a substance abuse disorder ends up causing or fueling a mental health problem.
Because of this, the best treatment centers provide dual diagnosis care for addiction and mental health treatment. In order to really treat a substance abuse disorder, you have to care for all of the underlying problems that fuel the addiction. At our treatment center, you can get dual diagnosis treatment for the following conditions.
- Childhood trauma.
- Bipolar disorder.
Sometimes, people begin using drugs to self-medicate for pain and other physical conditions. In our treatment center, you can get physical therapy for your medical ailments. We also offer chiropractic care, massage therapy, acupuncture, and other alternative treatments.
Creating a New Foundation for Your Future
Your individual counselor can help you prepare for your long-term recovery. During individual counseling, you will be able to take a fresh look at your relationships and overall approach to life. Then, you will be able to lay a strong foundation for a sober future.
- Gain acceptance: One of the first steps when you start mental health services is learning acceptance. Even though it may be challenging, you must learn to accept the fact that you have a substance abuse disorder.
- Deal with root causes of your substance abuse: Many different factors can fuel addiction. People may self-medicate to deal with anxiety or back pain. They may also use drugs and alcohol after suffering from the death of a loved one. With a counselor, it is important to deal with these root causes.
- Develop new life skills: Dual diagnosis treatment can help you prepare for life outside of rehab. You can learn new ways to make decisions and deal with negative emotions. Additionally, you can make sober friends and learn new hobbies.
- Build healthy relationships: Unfortunately, addiction can negatively harm relationships with your family members and friends. Individual counseling can help you heal these relationships and make amends. Then, you can learn how to build new relationships that will form a healthy part of your recovery.
- Stay sober: After learning new strategies for remaining sober, you can try putting them into practice. These skills can help you build a rewarding life after your treatment program is complete.
How Teletherapy Can Support Your Recovery
At Garden State Detox Center, we have a variety of mental health services available. Right now, many people are suffering from substance abuse, anxiety, and depression. Unfortunately, it can be difficult to get the right support when you also have to go to work or take care of your children.
Teletherapy helps by bringing mental health services to your location. Because you do not have to go to a mental health clinic, it is easier to fit individual counseling into your daily schedule. Virtual therapy lets you connect with an individual counselor and deal with your psychological problems.
Mental health services can be accessed in a variety of different ways. Other than attending an in-person session, you can go to individual counseling via telephone or video conferencing. You can also talk to your counselor through text messaging as well.
Teletherapy is important because it helps to support your detox and long-term recovery. Each session gives you added emotional support and guidance. In addition, these sessions will give you a continuation of care. Even when detox is complete, you can use teletherapy to continue your long-term recovery.
Individual Therapy Addresses Factors That Fuel Your Addiction
True recovery involves more than detox. You also have to address all of the factors that fueled your original addiction. If you do not deal with these problems, they will eventually return and make your sobriety difficult.
For example, some people use alcohol to self-medicate when they are depressed. If they only treat their addiction, they will return to their normal life and still feel unhappy. Eventually, they may end up using again to self-medicate for the symptoms of their depression. To enjoy a long-term recovery, you need dual diagnosis treatment for all of your co-occurring disorders.
Unfortunately, there are many different situations that can trigger a relapse. Situational stressors, old friends and environmental situations can make you feel like using again. During individual counseling, you can learn how to deal with the following triggers.
- Environmental factors: If you go to a bar where you used to drink, it can trigger the same thoughts and feelings again. Other than helping you avoid these situations, therapy can also give you coping mechanisms you can use when you are confronted by environmental factors.
- Situational stressors: If you feel stressed out because of work or your romantic relationship, you may feel an urge to self-medicate. Individual counseling helps you find alternative ways to manage stress and negative emotions.
- Social situations: When you run into a buddy who used to drink with you, you may feel tempted to join them for a drink. During therapy, you can learn coping mechanisms and ways to avoid peer pressure. As a result, you can learn how to have healthy, fulfilling relationships.
- Social isolation: Sometimes, social isolation may actually be more challenging than socializing with former friends. When you are isolated, it is easy to rationalize drug or alcohol use. Social isolation can quickly trigger a relapse. Because of this, it is important to develop a sober support system and stay involved in your therapy programs.
- Physical and mental health problems: Physical and mental health disorders can end up triggering a relapse as well. You may use drugs or alcohol to escape from the pain or to feel normal. To prevent this from happening, you need to get treatment for your addiction and co-occurring disorders at the same time.
What Kind of Therapy Is Available in Individual Counseling?
At Garden State Detox Center, an intake specialist will assess your current needs. Then, they will determine the best course of treatment. Depending on your unique situation, there are a variety of different therapy programs you may use during individual counseling.
Traditionally, therapists have resorted to using talk therapy to help people understand their addiction. This kind of therapy is flexible, so it can be customized to match your unique needs. Additionally, you can use talk therapy in a virtual format if you need to.
Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) is another form of talk therapy. This kind of treatment helps you identify negative thoughts and behavior patterns. Then, your new awareness allows you to replace negative thoughts with positive ones. You can also work on setting goals, making decisions, and learning about self-exploration.
Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) is a subset of CBT. It focuses on helping you accept your current situation, which is a useful quality for people who suffer from substance abuse. Often, DBT helps you manage intrusive thoughts through mindfulness and similar techniques.
Other than individual counseling, you may also receive group therapy and family therapy. Addiction never affects just one member of a family. Because of this, it is important to help your family relationships heal while you recover from your addiction. Meanwhile, group therapy provides you with extra resources and support as you recover.
Discover Individual Counseling Programs at Garden State Detox Center
Whether you want to work with an individual counselor or need to start a detox program, Garden State Detox Center can help. Our team of highly trained professionals has experience providing a wide range of mental health services. Other than individual counseling, our mental health clinic offers dual diagnosis treatment as well. To begin your journey toward a happier, healthier lifestyle, call us today.